Monday, January 01, 2007

Ledger Awards 2006 - Achievement of the Year

The output of Australian books was pretty good, i have a stack of about 100 books scattered on my floor all released in the last year. Not that I've been keeping track but that seems really high, so it seems people were head down ass up and drawing comics, instead of doing other stuff.

I scratched my head thinking of nominees.
I don't usually nominate people for the simple act of releasing a book or getting work, that's what is supposed to happen so with a red raw scalp;

Kevin Patrick's Victorian Gallery exhibition on the Histrory and scope of Australian
comics is very good, whilst i haven't seen it, it does have a high profile and seems successful.
Benzin Bullock and Brett Weekes also both held exhibitions in Adelaide and Brisbane which went well.

Avi Bernshaw (Egofreaky)'s Doujicon was fun, not particular successful from my point of view as a seller but still quiet the feat in organisation. I'm looking forward to the next one, where some of the kinks get knocked out.

In terms of being slightly biased, the Ozcomic 24 Hour Challenge was very good in 2006, because of the hard work of Troy Keally, Jacen Carpeter and Maggie McFee (I was also slightly involved- the fuck ups were mine).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have the 2007 winners been announced?

Mark Selan said...

I always get confused with the years; Legder Awards 2006 are for books released in 2006 but the winners will be announced in 2007.

I don't even know if there is a nomination form.