Thursday, January 05, 2006

Moofies in 2005

Using http://www.imdb.com/ReleasedInYear?year=2005&country=Australia

I saw

Finding Neverland – It made me sad but happy too
Alfie – Absolutely awful
Alexander – A film that was too long winded and tried too hard to make its solidary point.
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004) – I think this will be a film that I can have in the background and watch, like the more recent Bond films – some really cool bits interspersed with some meh.
Aviator, The - Was like Alexander but a bit more watchable and not as clumsy.
Constantine - Better than I expected, enjoyable in fact
Oldboy – Stylistically, probably one of the more interesting films of the year. In terms of plot it loses steam. Oh and he fucks his daughter!!!
Ong-bak – Over rated.
Ring Two, The – I liked that it was different from the first one but otherwise meh
Assault on Precinct 13 – I liked this a lot.
Interpreter, The – Kidman was pretty/ movie was average
Sahara - meh, it should have left more impression with Macy, Zahn and Cruzzzzz
Hostage – Sort of falls down at the end, I was expecting something really clever.
xXx: State of the Union – The first one sucked too so at least they are consistent.
Kingdom of Heaven – Um, no idea, it may have been good, may have been crap, it left no impression on me what so ever.
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith - shit
Longest Yard, The – better than Revenge of the Sith, still shit though
Mr. & Mrs. Smith – Did not live up to its potential at all. Needed more explosions, needed more gunplay.
Madagascar - OK
Batman Begins – pretty decent (good even) until the costume appears then it got kind of shitty. The showdowns with each of the 3 villains (roman, scarecrow, the other one) were all lame and anti-climatic.
War of the Worlds – For what it was it was OK
Fantastic Four – Batman Begins may have been, technically, a better film but I was quite surprised when i enjoyed it more.
Sin City – bit of a boy’s film, wasn’t it? I liked it but it got a bit much at the end; not helped by the repetitive narration and the violence.
Lords of Dogtown - I really liked this, I don’t know why.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – not as good as the original, I did have high expectations though which may have dampened my reaction.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – because of the paper thin plot, I probably enjoyed this more than the other Harry Potter films. It felt a bit over edited and none of the kids can act but I still had fun.
Chronicles of Narnia - Satisfying, quite satisfying indeed.
Brokeback Mountain - I only saw about 2/3 but it was incredibly engaging and almost my favourite movie of the year (almost because i didn't see the whole thing)


When my top 5 for the year possibly contains Assault on Precinct 13, i think i shouldn't bother

No comments: