Thursday, February 17, 2005

Comics and here

One the more high profile projects i managed www.premiersreadingchallenge.sa.edu.au now has graphic novels as a category. Which is cool - comics are saveded. I think most states have some sort of reading challenge and hopefully include GNs. Now I have to try and get Crab Allan listed.

Also graphic novels are libraries! and people are complaining. Comics are saveded and killed!

Otherwise the next issue of ozcomics is on hold while Darren moves house.

Sadly I was hoping that issue 7 or 8 would be a free give away for Free comic book day (May 7th). Essentially four 7 page comics from various creators given away for free. I had found contributors and had the finances for a limited run but i didn't have the time to do it justice.
So now the idea is to do it properly next year, that gives me plenty of opportunity to drum up support from retailers.

I'll start working on issue 7 (part 2 of the guide to self publishing) soon, i already have a couple articles for it and have asked a number of others to contribute. I'm hoping it will be out by Brisbane's Supanova. Issue 8 was going to be free, but now will be a normal issue, with articles and whatnot, but have to come up with a theme. If any one has any ideas let me know.

Then I'll leave the magazine to others and do something different.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh fucking hell, THIS swan song all over again.

I'm starting to get sick and tired of these fucking mothers who want to make everything "safe." "safe" ideas, "safe" content, clearly she doesn't give a fuck that he's gonna grow up warped and fifty years behind the rest of the world mentally, oh no, she's still too busy thinking about now, rather than the long term.

jeezus, pisses me off man. But kudos to the library people, glad there are still some people who don't crumble under "safe" pressure. We should give them a medal.

And if you succeed at getting crab allan listed in that competition, I'm naming all my children after you, as well as all the future characters in the next volume.

peace my friend.

-LFW

Anonymous said...

Why does the library have to do the thinking for the parents? I would have thought that if this mother was trying to encourage reading that she should have at least flipped through the book herself. To see if the book was of the appropriate reading level for her child.

Serves her right for assuming comics are only for kids.

Nate

Anonymous said...

being that I grew up in Bendigo i know there are a lot of small minded people who do not know about graphic novles and think that anything in a cartoon nature is like disney and perfect for kids but this does not give her the right to pass the blame off on others as a perent you have a responcibility to your kids and if she didnt want him to borrow the novel mabe she should have had a look at it.