Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Make it clear - Artist of the Year

Full art, penciller, inker, colourist, painter or multimedia. In recognition of excellence in 2005 by an Australian creator.

Paul Abstruse
I'm pretty glad Witch King is finally getting out, not that it is necessarily my cup of tea, but because i know a lot of people worked hard on it. Paul has an approachable style, it's highly detailed without it being over rendered. It sits in the middle of the very mainstream Yardin/Chaloner style and the cutesy wootsy Holgate/Major style.

Matt Huynh
In terms of comic art; the only way i can describe Matt's art is to point you to that scene in American Beauty with the plastic bag blows in the wind. Its chaotic but captivating. Its very earthy with loads of emotion.

Michael Li
A very evocative artist who has a great sense of story telling. I'd love to see his stuff over sized and in colour.

Ryan Winter
The artist of Azerath, he has shown a great improvement in the 7 issues published so far. He is not great technically, but his stuff is very dynamic even though a lot of the issues are talking heads stuff. One reason I'm nominating him is that he's producing a good 22 pages every three months and he's not a professional (which means he's got school/work/life to waste/fill his time)

Jase Harper
Cutesy Wootsey fun!

It was a close call but Eldritch Kid's Brett Burns is an absolutely phenomenal artist, if I could name 6 nominations he'd be in. If I could have seven I’d add Trudy Cooper, shit if I had 8 spots I’d add Jason Paulos – decisions are hard, but let me just say, I love you all (some of you only physically). I'd like to put Andy Finlayson's name in the ring for his DeeVee story, Canaan Crall also has some fine skills but both of this artists did less than 8 pages this year (that I’m aware of) which is hard to justify giving a Best Artist award to in my eyes.

But of course the idea is that other people nominate what they liked. There's plenty of time (nominations finish early january) so check out www.phasetwocomics.com and buy stuff.
Otherwise get ye to the nomination forms and nominate.

No comments: