Friday, April 15, 2005

77 hours of Supanova; Day two (saturday) - Part 1

I think i slept friday night, i must of because i remember waking up.

I slinked into the shower and got rid of the film of sweat that had enveloped me since i touched down in brisbane town.

I was slightly nervous, but i usually am. Weber emerged from his room ready. we rolled after i chugged berroca and panadols.
We stopped off at woolworths, i needed to buy breakfast and snacks for the day. Weber continually chastised me for my poor breakfast performance. Usually i have nothing, sometimes i'll grab these really huge donuts from the vietnamese bakery. Usually i hunger it out till lunch time. thing is, i don't like milk (or any drinks without bubbles; though i am partial to grape juice or blackcurrent). So cereal is a rather dry event. And quite simply eggs freak me out. So i do toast sometimes and pancakes, but only on special occassions when other people make it for me - looking at you emma p.
So at woolies i checked out with 2 bottles of water, coke, chokito bars (they have rice bubbles in them and chocolate, chocolate is upgraded milk), bag of lollies and a bowl. Stolen from an idea of what Patrick Alexander does with cookies, everyone loves lollies. Weber feared going inside woolies, i believe there was an 'incident', i'm not sure what this incident was but i think there must be some sort of ban on weber entering supermarkets because all he had in his fridge was flasks of water and something yellow. He waited outside, i think hiding in the backseat.

Anyway, we got to the con before 10, driving past cosplays getting of buses and walking the street. Alas rumours of out of control street violence is vastly overstated for these people made it to the convention centre in one piece.

I had a booth pass, weber had a 2 day pass, he was supposed to line up. But he's a nice chap and does not deserve that fate worse than death. So we just walked in, its all about attitude. No one bothers people who like they belong there and they definetly won't question you. it also helps when there is more than one person, so the dude who walked in before us got busted we walked in smooth.

I caught up with Daniel Reed, and spied the latest Crumpleton Experiment. It looked sexy, it looked Hot, smaller than comic size, it was now A5 mini or small press. it did have "ledger award winner" on the cover. On my left, was empty chair where Nicola was meant to be. Next to her was me, bit on the other side Stewart Mckenny and wendy. On the otherside was someone selling Groovy Gravy who's name i forget. Sharing his table was the guy that does Sev Trek. the guy who does Sev Trek also has a DVD. i think Sev Trek dude sold out of a couple of things. i wish it was 2004 so i could unleash the RAGE.

people were hurrying around, across from us was Ian Gould and Paul, who seems to revel in his Comic Shop Guy appearance.
Finally the doors of hell were opened and people streamed in. Within 5 minutes some dickweed wanted free lollies. 'not without buying something chief"
and he walked away, said dickweed would spend $200 on a photo of him hand jobbing Temura morrison but then give me dirty looks for asking him to spend $4.
Daniel made the first sale of the day, about 45 minutes in. i stood with my dick in my hand for 90 minutes, then i thought hey maybe that's what's scaring people away, so i zipped up and yay made a sale.
Nicola Scott had walked in by then and had gathered a fair amount of attention for her sketches.
It was actually buzzing.
I hit Nic up for a sketch in my Japanese themed (not manga) sketch book. She did a Battle of the Planets sketch which is outside of the boundaries but i'm a push over. Anyway, apparently when it comes to importance i'm down the bottom. Apparently little kids get preference. Apparently people who buy stuff get sketches done before me. Reminded me of the Marcelo Baez sketching incident of 2004, where he kept putting sketchbooks on top of mine so even though i was best dressed i was last served.
But then Australian comics fairy godmother Tonia Walden walked in. And she gave me stuff.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I didn't go into woolworths with you because I had to go to the caltex at the other end and take a goddam piss, you were in that bathroom for an awfully long time

-LFW

Anonymous said...

Mark, I'm enjoying these reports - nice bits of writing - they almost make me feel like I was there! Tonia seems to be a constant source of new and wonderful comics these days - can't wait for the "Pirates" anthology, especially her own piece. And Nicola did a "Battle of the Planets" pic?! I want one!

Cheers,

Ian T.