Monday, March 21, 2005

More obligatory comics controversy.....

Over in Doug's blog, he laments the lack of Australian comics on the shelves for this year. While i'm sharpening my pencil, getting ready to draw 'Black bear finds Timmy before Lassie' (I'll win best inker for sure.) i don't think its that bad.
In the past couple of years, the two conventions have brought a couple of books out of the woodwork; knee pockets, Tales, Finch, Diabla, Killeroo all got launched at Supanova. This doesn't seem to happen anymore, besides Sporadic #5 and the new DeeVee no new comics are being released for Brisbane. Possibly people are holding back for Sydney.
Or maybe, distributing books at a convention is not that cost effective by the time you count table costs and whatnot. I don't know.

But is it that bad? I'm not talking quality, i'll leave that to reviewers and Doug.
According to www.phasetwocomics.com Oztaku #3 came out, something called Stoole.
For sure, there's "something wicked" being put out by Troy Kealley and Pirates by Tonia Walden. Though I fear hell my freeze over, WitchKing should be out; as well as Eldritch kid and Azerath (both from POC's creatorline). Then hopefully the Foolproof crew's Suburban Knights Anthology Falling Forward, Weber has just finished Alien Circus and hopefully will be doing something else. Hopefully Platinum Grit #14 is online this year as well. And I see Daniel Reed is going to be at Supanova, hopefully that means he's finished another Crumpleton Experiment. Plus if memory serves me correctly, Dillon is releasing some stuff celebrating 10 or 20 years of Dillondon/Dillitopia. I think there will be some Cardigan Comics released, and a new Silent Army comic/anthology/group effort of some sort. And if mention Weber's efforts on Alien Circus, then Doug has a whole bunch of stuff this year from publishers; Flight 2,3 but also in the selfpublishing world hopefully the reemergence of Toon Buggy.

So in terms publishing, its not that bad - the driving forces and most visible creators of the new wave (post 2000 australian comics) Tang, Baez, Phllips, Close aren't doing anything this year.

But the year is only young....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'fallingforward' is maggies LJ account not the name of the foolproof anthology to the best of my (sometimes meagre) knowledge. She is doing the cover, which is where you may have got confused. Unless I'm the one confused. Of course.

A crying australian shame that Finch didn't go any further. Maybe one of the most captivating comics (let alone australian) I've read in years.

md

Mark Selan said...

For the life of me i can't find maggie's cover.

I get confused easily