Thursday, February 07, 2008

Comic comic podcast #1

The second podcast by David Blumenstien and Ben Hutchings is up. Most interestingly is the talk about selling comics to shops. In my web consulting and writing for the web training I've started using Pareto Principle; Pareto was an early 20th century economist who discovered that 80% of the wealth of Italy was held by 20% of the population. Since then its been used as a rule of thumb - i use it to say 20% of an organisation's business responsibility is needed by 80% of the community so websites need to reflect that 20%; all other content is non-core and a waste of time. The Pareto Principle is also used in sales; that 80% of sales come from 20% of your customers. That's not to say that individuals are buying multiple copies. When i think of customers, I think of either comic shops or venues where i sell the book like zine fairs and conventions. And at first with Ozcomics Magazine and Sureshot Presents I'd chase every sale (moreso with the Magazine); deal with multiple shops selling 1-5 copies in each shop except for 3 shops which would order 20+ copies consistently. At first I'd thought that the shops that had smaller orders would grow but they didn't so i stopped bothering.

Now I'm thinking that I might just deal with Adelaide, cons and fairs - my cut is bigger and i sell more with less hassle.

On a related note the guys also talk about writing to an audience, this was brought up at Pulp Faction as well. I'm in the commercial camp; i think that you need to consider your audience and write for them. I always find the people who say "You write/create for yourself" to be essentially wankers. They either suffer egos so large the believe themselves to be more important than the audience (who essentially pay them) or people with no confidence in their skills so when their work doesn't "succeed" (however they define success) they counter with "I wrote it for myself (so it doesn't matter what other people thought of it)". I think its more important to be happy with what you create, to be proud of it otherwise you are just hacking for a wage (not that there is anything wrong with that; many plumbers, nurses and taxi drivers are doing what they do to put food on the table - they have no pretension about it). So i'm in the mind that it should be "You make sure you are happy with your work".

I think the Comic show at the Melbourne comedy festival is a great idea and is a billion times better outreach program than anything else i've seen; FCBD, cons).

Another good show.

And the Stan Lee

2 comments:

LFW said...

dude, I must be a wanker, you are totally calling me a wanker, ha ha.

I dunno, Me personally I just have these stories in my head that I must translate as truthfully as I can, I feel like if I alter the story to fit an "audience" then I'm shooting the story in the foot, I guess that must make me a wanker, lol.

Though I do agree with the merits of writing for an audience, how are peeps going to connect with something if they can't relate to it? how can you effectively focus-promote it to the right demographic of people if it's all over the place?

Now I must listen to this podcast

cheers

the wanker

-LFW

Mark Selan said...

I should have made it clear that the wanker part comes from the pissing and moaning that occurs down the track when the story doesn't sell - blaming the stupidity of the audience. If your goal is to be true to your story, that's great there are many great pieces of art that do that but blaming the audience is kind of lame. If your goal is to sell to an audience then write to that audience.

In terms of relating to that audience, i have no idea how that is done.